Wednesday 2 September 2009

Interviewing Ryan Duns pt 2/3

No big intro here, as simple as it is, the second part of the interview with Ryan Duns:

Whistler Bard: Which other instruments do you play? And how frequently, compared to the Whistle?
Ryan Duns: I play the piano accordion. I probably play the whistle more, because it takes less effort to pick it up!

WB: What's your opinion on the use of high end whistles? There are two schools that I've heard of: the ones who think it's better to stick with the more traditional ones like Feadógs and Clarkes, while others go for high end whistles, claiming that makes them want to practise more.
RD: I think that the whistle is like the wands in the "Harry Potter" books: each whistler has a whistle made for her or for him. Some people sound great on any whistle, others really need the expensive ones to sound their best. I reckon it doesn't matter: if the music is in your heart, it will come out of the instrument.

WB: Abstracting from the previous awnser, What kinds and brands of whistles do you favor for yourself, and why?
RD: I don't have favorites. As a seminarian, I have a vow of poverty so I can't acquire new whistles very easily. I like my Generation D body with an O'Riordan top. I also like to play the black O'Riordan whistles.

WB: What do you suggest when aspiring players reach the inevitable plateau or "dead spot" in their development?
RD: Keep playing! Even when we're not making big strides, or it feels like we've leveled off, you must trust that your patient practice is having an effect. Deep in your soul, the practice is slowly carving out new areas of your heart to explore through music. In time, you will discover these caverns and your music will take on even more meaning and beauty.

WB: Do you like to play music other than Celtic on the whistle at all?
RD: Not really: I stick to traditional Irish.

WB: You use a lot of tonguing to great effect. Was this taught, was it consciously done, or did it just develop on its own?
RD: It developed on its own over time.

WB: Is there a particular tutorial method book that you like and recommend?
RD: Learn both to play by ear and to read music.

WB: Why do bad tunes happen to good whistles?
RD: Great question. Sin.

So in this part of the interview we got to know some opinions about music from Ryan, who once again replied with a natural simpathy. I personally love the last answer of this part :P

Thank you all for reading, and hope I can keep you interest in the blog even after the interview.

Cheers to you all, and don't forget: tomorow is the 3rd and last part of the interview!


No comments:

Post a Comment